Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nature's Bounty

Sunday afternoon I was laying on the couch watching a race with Eric and trying to avoid having to make supper.  I didn't plan ahead and the only thing in the house that didn't need to be thawed was tuna helper.  I was not excited about having or making tuna helper so I was hoping Eric would get up and make himself a bowl of cereal and I could say "Oh, great idea!  Cereal for supper!"  He didn't get up and get a bowl of cereal....little did I know we didn't have cereal in the house either!

Anyway, I did eventually get up and I walked out back with the dogs and decided to check on my garden.  Calling it a garden this year is a stretch!  We had such a cold & wet planting season everything got in late and then it turned hotter than hot and scortched everything!  But to my surprise this hot, steamy Sunday afternoon this is what I found!
I picked my lone pepper and the two okra's and beautiful roma tomato's and the green one fell off the vine and I decided to show it some mercy and bring it in with my bounty rather than leave it for the squirels.  This little box made me so happy!  I nearly skipped into the house to show it off to Eric and Jonner, they were equally excited with my basket of veggies fresh from the garden!  I enjoy gardening, but this is what I LOVE about it.  Having my own fresh/organic vegetables to feed and nurish my family.

I quickly decided we were having BLT's for supper that evening....the only problem what we were out of the B.  I grabbled the keys, gave my guys a kiss and said I'll be back in a jiffy and off I was on my way to Walmart up the street.  I didn't even realize until I was trying to walk from the van into the store that I was still wearing my nasty, dirt crusted gardening flip-flops that flipped and flopped off my feet more than they stayed on!  But it was a Sunday afternoon and all the crazies were out at Walmart - I fit right in!  I grabbed a pound of turkey bacon and a package of deli turkey.  Those of you who know me well know I won't eat a tomato to save my life...ironic huh?!  And I was home in no time flat and ready to make supper.   Eric had his traditional BLT and I had my traditional BLTurkey, Jonner enjoyed toast and bacon.  Best of all we ended up having a nice easy sit down meal as a family - that's better than cereal any day....even if I do have to toast some bread and cook up some bacon! 

Eric has back to back ballgames tonight and he requested BLT's for a light supper before his games.  I'm happy to oblige.  It's an easy meal we all enjoy.  Just another perk of summer:  family, ballgames & BLT's, life is good! 


Here are a few pictures of our recent trip into STL to watch the Cardinals play.  A big thanks to the March of Dimes for free tickets.   


Cardinals vs. Houston Astros - Cards lost, but we still enjoyed ourselves despite the 100 degree tempature at 7:15 in the evening.  Thankfully we were so high up in the nose bleed seats that we had a slight breeze as the sun set behind us.  Up that high we had a fabulous view of the entire stadium, the field and one of our favorite sights of the midwest.  The Gateway Arch at sunset. 

3 comments:

Tiffani said...

comment test....

DeAnn said...

Yay!! I'm so happy you got to harvest some real vegetables. The colors are so pretty in those pictures. I'm sad our garden didn't do anything this year. I know the girls would love to pick veggies even if they won't eat them. Your pictures from the ball park are amazing!!!

cropangel said...

you got a nice amount of fresh veges. I wish i could say the same we are getting a bit of tomatoes but that is about it. enjoy those veges.