Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Weekend.... all about a girl

When an opportunity presents itself, what do you do?  Run with it and see where it takes you or let it pass and wonder what may have been.  Usually I let them pass and wonder what may have been.  Until last week...

I was missing my mom & sisters and some core women in my life.  I realized last week that my husband was going to be in class all weekend and we'd see very little of him and it dawned on me that Jonner and I didn't need to stay cooped up in this Southern Illinois heat while daddy was in class.  I decided to run 300 miles with this opportunity and head up to Iowa and be with family. 

With the help of my sisters and dad we were able to keep my visit a secret from my mom.  She saw my silver van pull into the driveway and assumed it was my sister Bobbi in her silver van.  My dad met us at the door and opened it for us just as he would have for my sister and her kids.  It took a moment for it to register with my mom who had just walked into her livingroom.  That look was priceless!  It really felt great to give her such a nice surprise. 

Friday evening was full of food and family.  I was able to see my older sister and her family and my younger sister Kristi along with her family.  I even kept her youngest son (Liam is 4) for a sleepover with Jonner at Grandma & Grandpa's.  After all....the weekend wasn't entirely about me!  Those two little boys played so well and just had a blast.  I hate being so far away, I have great memories of playing with my cousins and I want the same for Jonner.  Saturday morning my parents keep the boys, invited Levi (3) up and Kristi and I went coupon shopping.  I seldom get to spend time with Kristi and having that one on one time together really meant a lot to me.  Saturday evening we spent in Thomson visiting the Smith side of the family.  We saw KaCee Cierra and Jonner cried the rest of the evening for her.  We really miss that girl. 

Sunday was a fun filled day for me.  I started the day off up at my grandma L.'s and came home with a ton of jars to can in....if only my garden was producing.  But we'll save that story for another day.  I had lunch with my sister Bobbi Ann.  She treated me to the brunch buffet at Yen Ching.  It's been forever since I've been there and honestly it wasn't as good as I remember.  But it was still great to see Bertrude and chat with her.  That afternoon I saw my "little" brother Bobby.  The terrible thing about a long relationship ending is loosing the family you've come to love.  When my high school sweetheart and I split I was heartbroke about not seeing his little brother and his grandma.  Over the years I've gotten back in touch with his little brother and have adopted him as my own little brother.  So the "little" brother I've know since he was 5yrs old is now a grown man that towers just a bit over me.  We chat often and I'm so glad to have my little brother back in my life.  Sunday evening was the icing on the cake.  My best friend was also in town all the way from Alaska.  Tricia is my dearest and oldest friendship dating back to college.  We were in each other's weddings and when we're together we mesh and no topic is off limits.  It was so refreshing to see her and be able to pig out on some Manny's pizza and not be concerned if I ate too much.  We visited late into the night and I felt such a peace come over me.  I ran with an opportunity and in doing so I was able to fill my need of being with some of the people I miss & love most.  My weekend was filled with love and laughter and I realized that for the first time in a long time that I was living in the moment and not trying to capture it on film. 

I'll hold these wonderful moments of time in my heart forever.  And I'll try to remember it's ok to run with an opportunity every now and again.  Afterall you never know what will come of them!

**I can't give my parents enough thanks for all of their help with Jonner over the weekend.  He spent more time with them than with me.  I know they were happy to help and trilled to have that time with him but by Sunday evening my little man was missing his mommy and to be honest...mommy was missing her little man.

1 comment:

HissyFits said...

Very cute Blog Tiffani!
Glad you had a nice trip home.